Ruins of Dungeness, Cumberland Island, GA, 2012
Dungeness is associated with several mansions located on the same site since 1736. The last of these was built in 1880 by Thomas Carnegie, brother of Andrew, and completed in 1886. In 1959, the Dungeness 59-room Queen Anne style mansion was destroyed by fire, alleged to be arson. Today, the wild horses of Cumberland occasionally roam the grounds. Digital infrared image.